Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

16-year-old girl starts solo sail around globe

gkisseberth

Germany

do you think you could have done this when you were 16?

16-year-old girl starts solo sail around globeSLIDESHOW  Previous        Next    Abby Sunderland, 16, looks out from her sailboat, Wild Eyes, as she leaves for her world record attempting journey at the Del Rey Yacht Club, Saturday, Jan 23, 2010, in Marina del Rey, Calif. Sunderland is attempting to be the youngest person to complete a nonstop, unassisted solo-circumnavigation of the globe by sea. (AP Photo/Richard Hartog)Abby Sunderland, 16, looks out from her sailboat, Wild Eyes, as she leaves for her world record attempting journey at the Del Rey Yacht Club, Saturday, Jan 23, 2010, in Marina del Rey, Calif. Sunderland is attempting to be the youngest person to complete a nonstop, unassisted solo-circumnavigation of the globe by sea. (AP Photo/Richard Hartog) (Richard Hartog – AP)TOOLBOX ResizePrintE-mailWHO'S BLOGGING» Links to this articleThe Associated Press 
Sunday, January 24, 2010; 6:46 AM

MARINA DEL REY, Calif. —A 16-year-old has set out to become the youngest person to sail around the world alone.

Abby Sunderland of Thousand Oaks sailed into the sunny Pacific Ocean on Saturday after being delayed a few days by a series of violent storms in California.

Her boat-builder father, Laurence, along with other family members and fiends, cheered at the Del Rey Yacht Club as they watched the 40-foot craft called Wild Eyes depart.

She plans to be at sea for five or six months. She will be alone but able to communicate via satellite telephone and a blog (at abbysunderland.com).

The current record holder is 17-year-old Mike Perham of Britain, who took the mark last year from Abby's then-17-year-old brother Zac. 

05:46 PM Jan 24 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

spontan

spontan

Germany

Pic: The crew were starting to smell a bit musty, so the skipper sent them outside for a bit of sunshine and fresh air!

nice to see how jesse take care of her crewSmile she is now 4 month at sea

Thursday, February 18, 2010

And the skipper, well her hair has grown quite a bit longer and as far as I can tell, she's as healthy as ever. Although I do wonder if my legs are a bit thinner. I still do various exercises for them most days, but I'm thinking that maybe I won't be running any marathons right after getting home!

Well that's enough waffle for now.

Jesse

http://www.youngestround.blogspot.com/

06:53 PM Feb 21 2010 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

jesse rounded now the cape of the good hope Africa and the cape of Horn south America….this is for sailors the same as for climbers to go on the Mont Everest in Himalaya

i think now every sailor will give her the line…read about her reason to sail round the world.sometimes little things have much influence to your life.

""When I first dreamt of sailing around the world, the first thing that caught my attention, was curiosity about whether or not it was even something that was achievable. It wasn't so much the action and adrenaline parts that appealed to me, but thinking about all the details and finding ways to minimize the risks. I wanted to challenge myself and achieve something to be proud of. And yes, I wanted to inspire people. I hate that so many dreams never actually become anything more than that, a dream. I'm not saying that everyone should buy a boat and take off around the world, but I hope that by achieving my own dream, I'm showing people that it is possible to reach their own goals, whatever they might be and however big or small.

Now that I'm out here, I'm also finding that a big part of it is just about having fun and making the most of every day. And the other amazing thing is that it's no longer just my dream or voyage. Every milestone out here isn't just my achievement, but an achievement for everyone who has put so much time and effort into helping getting me here.

Also, I'd like to say that I'm not doing this to prove a point, but that wouldn't be completely true. For almost 6 years my family lived on our motor boat travelling and based at different marinas on the east coast of Australia. When you live on the water, it's sort of like an unwritten law that when another boat is pulling in, you stop to give a hand and take their lines. But being a 'little girl' meant that more often than not, my offer of help would be completely ignored, while the line was passed to the fully grown man next to me. I found this incredibly frustrating as I knew that I was just as capable of handling the lines as anyone else. I hated being judged by my appearance and other people's expectations of what a 'little girl' was capable of.""

http://www.youngestround.blogspot.com

09:38 AM Feb 27 2010 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

yes rosella,i hope also that she will make it round the world …she has now even time and the routine for a wash daySmile

""I know washing isn't the most thrilling pastime, but seeing as I can't go for a nice long jog on the beach to vent my excess energy, I don't have choice a but to take it out on my clothes and Ella's Pink Lady. And even doing the washing isn't that bad when you're sitting in the cockpit surrounded by blue water, with warm sunshine on your back, a gentle breeze and a mix of music!""

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/assets/images/Blog/JW%202%20pic.JPG

jesse even know that the 16 year old American girl abby sunderland has also rounded cap horn

i found now her blog,too. http://soloround.blogspot.com/

09:19 PM Apr 09 2010 |

ellachan91

Germany

16 years old,what a brave young girl!

For me it is IMPOSSIBLE.

_____

ally Mcbeal DVD

Two and a Half Men DVD

Charmed DVD

Cold Case DVD

06:31 AM Apr 10 2010 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

an ordinary girl who believed in her dream?

my deep respect as sailor to jessica watson …..she arrived home from her sailing tour around the world…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H53y5qU6DQ

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/_blog/Official_Jessica_Watson_Blog/

09:09 AM May 19 2010 |