Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

~~I fell in love with a man I met online~~ (A real story form Cleo 's Magazine)

-Aim-

-Aim-

Thailand

I met this guy online. We chatted for a while, and within four months he told me he loved me. He sent me flowers and rang me every night of the week. What started off as just a casual chat, ended up with us falling madly in love. After 16 months of chatting online we decided to live together. I was from another country so the move had to be well planned. He found a nice place, and within two months I moved in with him. Two months after that I began to notice a few odd things about him. He'd sit on his computer all-night long and make lots of phone calls. One night he left his MSN open, so I decided to take a peek. I found out that he'd been seeing another woman at the same time he was seeing me. 

I thought she was just a friend, as she'd stopped by to visit a couple of times. I'd caught them closer to our bedroom on the last visit and asked what was going on. I was still unaware that they'd been sleeping together all this time. After her last visit she'd e-mailed my partner telling him she'd cried all the way home and that she'd missed him so much. She said that she felt I wasn't the right one for him, and that she'd rather see him with someone else. She continued to tell him how much she cried for him and only wanted the very best for him (and how she felt that she was the very best for him and I wasn't).

This woman also had a partner, and was seeing my partner on the side. I had to reply to her e-mail. I told her that I knew of her cheating on her partner and I was prepared to blow the whistle if she didn't stay away. In the meantime, I told my partner that I was fully aware of him cheating on me and made it quite clear that if it continued I was out of the relationship.

He did everything in his power to try to make it right. All was well again in the land of love, so to speak. She sent a few more e-mails and made a few phone calls to his mother and then stopped trying to make contact with him.

Unfortunately this was only the beginning. I discovered that my partner also had a fetish with online dating. He'd made contact with a couple of women online and even organized to meet with them. He had a thing for women who were already taken. I warned him that he wouldn't want this to get out as it would ruin his business, so he stopped. Time went by and everything was rosy — or so I thought.

It was Christmas/New Year 2005 when I actually caught him out. He didn't deny any of it. He told me that he no longer loved me and wanted out of the relationship. I did try to sort it all out with him, but I knew he'd fallen for this other girl. Three days after he told me he didn't love me, I began packing my stuff. I moved out one day, and his new girlfriend moved in the next.

Within a couple of weeks, his business had lost a lot of customers. The girlfriend he had dumped me for began taking money from the business and within a couple of months she had dumped him. He then picked up another woman, who he also cheated on, and then another, and was dumped by them all! Now he's single, living at home with his mother.

I have learnt never to trust anyone you meet online. You can paint a pretty picture online, but face-to-face you see a whole lot more! I have come out on top of this, feeling a lot more comfortable with who I am. When he dumped me, I thought it was my fault, then I realized that he was the one who couldn't stay faithful; he was the one who was dishonest. I know I deserve a whole lot better!

01:32 AM Apr 11 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

-Aim-

-Aim-

Thailand

What do you think of this story?

01:32 AM Apr 11 2007 |

black"n"blue

Saudi Arabia

thats was to much for me and i didnt read it but take care and i hope every thing goes okay..best weshes

03:16 PM Apr 11 2007 |

heena

India

This story is really horrinbe i cant bere if something like this happen with me its really sad and even i am out of my mind because of that silly selfish boy he deserves a hell dont u thing so? that was really r5eally sad and we should take care by chating with all guys i adont blame all but we should be carefull and u know that boy is bad but even i think there is a fault of that girl too because she trust that online boy she should have not u know ! she should have not intertain him ; online friendship is ok but this is dangerous and even disgaceful for all!

u have to be in ur own rules and should not crose it

02:17 PM Apr 12 2007 |

black"n"blue

Saudi Arabia

well by seeing what heena wrote i had to read it and girl damn wtf were you still staying with him if you know from the beginning that he was cheating on you man if would do that to me ill cut off some thing personal of his and make him grave all his life .best wishes

03:32 PM Apr 12 2007 |

dynamo

dynamo

Australia

I see that you are a very strong and caring woman, I am feeling happy to have you as my friend.

best wishes Chris (dynamo) Australia.

11:30 PM Apr 25 2007 |

yuichy

yuichy

Thailand

this article makes all online teenagers wake up because after reading this story they will realize what the real world is and the online love story isn't sweet as they had ever thought and be more careful about relationship they found online before getting too close.

03:59 AM Apr 28 2007 |

black"n"blue

Saudi Arabia

yeah i get to close but never love i love as i sis or a bro but never as a lover ..thats what every one should do.

11:10 AM Apr 28 2007 |

symd

India

what you said is the reality which is going on here in this world in these days. but i would like to appreciate you for your firm stance that you took without fearing any thing. try not to fall in such situations.

12:29 PM Apr 28 2007 |

jasmin1976

jasmin1976

Tunisia

well aim, i think it's a good experience for you. one can learn alot from life which is full of hope and lovely gifts, so go on and experience more. don't say that i'll never trust any person on the net , it's not good to think that way, what you expect is what you get, if you expect failure of a relationship, surely it will fail, but you'd rather expect the best to get the best.

10:05 AM Apr 29 2007 |

Joseph.hoo

China

it is only a story ,not yours

11:45 AM Apr 29 2007 |