Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Are there justifications to terrorism?

TAKFARINAS

TAKFARINAS

Tunisia

"The Sirens of Baghdad" by Yasmina Khadra

I read the French edition of this book. The book tells us the story of Iraqi boy who stopped his studies at University and went back to his village because of the war. He witnessed three tragic incidents in his small village. The Americans were involved in these incidents. The third incident took place in his home and it was so humiliating that he decided to take revenge. He left his village to Baghdad where he joined a terrorist group. The peaceful boy became an angry and violent terrorist.

The book is scary. The main character is a terrorist, while reading his life story I recognized that he passed through extremely hard time. In other words, I "understood" him. That is why I felt scared. Although I condemn terrorism and consider killing innocent people as an unforgettable crime, I could show some understanding to a terrorist! At first, I come up to the conclusion that there are justifications to terrorism. Humiliation, oppression, occupation can lead a peaceful people to violence. But…is violence the right response to a tragedy or injustice? By choosing the violence, the young boy in the book failed to calm his anger, failed his life…

08:25 AM Feb 03 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

That relativist view is not only wrong, bt it's dangerous too.

07:19 AM Feb 08 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

How is my view wrong?

05:21 PM Feb 08 2009 |

TAKFARINAS

TAKFARINAS

Tunisia

Sadly Muslims think that they are the only victims,but thue fact is every one is invloved in this cycle of victim and aggressor.

the point is every one turns a blind when thier people are the aggressor.

I NEVER SPEAK AS MUSLIM, BUT AS A HUMAN BEING. I REFUSE TERRORISM AND I HATE BEN LADEN AND OTHER ISLAMIC TERRORISTS AS I HATE BUSH AND ALL PERSONS WHO KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR NO REASONS

11:13 AM Feb 09 2009 |

TAKFARINAS

TAKFARINAS

Tunisia

I condemn terrorism and consider killing innocent people as an unforgettable crime.

I THINK I WAS CLEAR

12:20 PM Feb 09 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

Terrorists/freedom fighters have their own reasons for doing the things that they do. They don't "kill innocents for no reason."

05:42 AM Feb 10 2009 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

This question should be, is there any justification to state organized terrorism? 

08:41 AM Feb 10 2009 |

TAKFARINAS

TAKFARINAS

Tunisia

Terrorists/freedom fighters have their own reasons for doing the things that they do.

In my point of view their reasons for killing innocent people are not logical and that's why is said "for no reason".

State organized  terrorism exist too and it is the most dangerous type of terrorism.

09:16 AM Feb 10 2009 |

Jinn_daniels

India

Dear kyle a,i really didnt knew,thr cud have been a rational reasn 4 killing innocent ppl,wud u b kine enough to share sm of ur reasns,cause i dnt c any,i thnk terrorists r crap,n freedm fi8ter??fightng 4 whos freedm in india??

10:37 AM Feb 10 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

Sure can, Jinn daniels. First, can you define the word "innocent" though? I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Language is so clumsy. ^^

Let me make this clear however that I do not believe that killing people is ok by any measure. I was just pointing out a point of view that everyone seemed to be omitting. 

03:38 PM Feb 10 2009 |

Jinn_daniels

India

Ok,let me define innocent by my stndrds,4 me innocent ppl r,who dnt have anythng to do with terror,who r nrmal everyday ppl just trieng to mind thr own busness,bt killed by some moron in the name of jehad(though i stll dnt knw who needs to b free)

06:35 PM Feb 10 2009 |