Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do we read Quran, even if we can’t understand a single Arabic word????

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

This is a beautiful story.

An old  American Muslim lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern  Kentucky with his young  grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading  his Quran.  His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate  him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I  try to read the Quran just like you but I don't understand it, and what I  do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading  the Qur'an do?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the  stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a  basket of water."
The boy did as he was told, but all the water  leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and  said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to  the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but  again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told  his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and  he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, "I don't want a  bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard  enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At  this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his  grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak  out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into  river and ran hard, but when   he reached his grandfather the basket was  again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"  

"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the &nbs! p;basket ."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time  realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a  dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

"Son,  that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not understand or  remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out.  That is the work of Allah in our lives."

04:54 AM Aug 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

javamanju

javamanju

India

Nasim :

The site didn’t allow me to sign in with mobile.

I usually open this site through mobile, use Opera mini.(thanks to airtel for free internet on mobile)

I personally believe that I’m a human first and then a muslim

You have taken words out of my mouth…. This is my philosophy in life . I am a human first, an Indian next and then a Hindu . 

Religion and science are two completely different aspects

Science is not an adobe of any religion or for that matter any country. Einstein is a jewel, he is not a property of Jew or US or Germany

I can also add that Neil Armstrong, the first human on moon claimed that he heard Azan on moon and later converted.

This is a big hoax. people even claim that sunita williams and kalpana chawla converthd to islam. 

on the funnier side, china has claimed that a Chinese greted Neil, and Indians claim Armstrong drank tea from a malyali tea stall !! (chinese and malyalies are every where)

I have my own theories but I’m not interested in discussing them here

Please let me know, PS – My theory is not copied, may be that theory exists… It will be good discussion.

Oseseam :  

as we saw many who have grudge towards islam convert

"Muslims" who had grudge against other religion blow themselves up Tongue out

04:16 PM Aug 21 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

To Manar >>>  Grow up kido.  You say non-muslims can't understand Qur'an well.lol If u had said non-arab that'd have made some sense. My dad reads Mathnawi Sharif that is translated by some Adams…a christian. The most popular translation of Qur'an in the '80s (at least in the indian subcontinent) was by an Europian Christian Some Dukes.If they were wrong interpretations they'd have not been so phenomenally popular.

To Java >>>  Yea I've Opera Mini but damn it. My Nokia 6600 doesn't allow any program other than the in built nokia browser to access the site. When I seeked help in My opera forum they say contact your service provider as the APN reads RTLWAP. The guys from Reliance say that the problem is with my 6600 for I use the same web on my mobile to connect to net on my computer. I'm confused what to do….

LOL@Neil Armstron joke

For the intolerant folks—> Go read the stories by Count Leo Tolstoy. There is one story by him (I don't remember the title) in which he describes the scene where Scholars of various religions are fighting to prove the supremacy of their religion. Finally Tolstoy shows who is the best. Don't mark the nameof the religion, mark the quality that puts it so high in Tolstoy's opinion.

To Progression >>>  Vitamins are essential for our body, but if we take in too much of vitamin we get hypervitaminosis. The synonym of water is life, but excess of it brings floods, tsunami.etc. Everything has a limit and logic also has. I said I respect personal freedom and peaceful coexistence. But where religion doesn't interfere with that I prefer to go in the religion's way. If you start bombarding the religion with logic even the existence of God will get into mists of suspicion let alone the deeds of God. Please let people believe in what they deem fit as long as they don't impose it on you and they certainly can't

"La Iqraha Fid-dine" There is no compulsion in religion

BTW C++ in which language are you talking, that is neither English nor C+, it seems u hav developed D+...lol

06:37 PM Aug 21 2008 |

manar222

manar222

Egypt

nasim
why did you put lines in your reply to me
are you shy
by the way i couldn’t read it
sent it again with on lines
thanks

07:00 PM Aug 21 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

e baby's formatting system is very queer, sometimes html works…sometimes doesn't. Sometimes placing dash gives no strikethrough and here in last post manar couldn't read coz of strikethrough….lol

PS – Oh yes…Shyboy16™ is my trade mark nick name in all the sites I get into except here….ha ha ha

08:59 PM Aug 21 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

progression,

first ur believing in science in just mere claim, if u r realy beileve in science and when u realy know Quran u can't do but what scientists do…

second, because we bielive in Him as our Creator and we see Him through His verses (as the scientists did) we obey Him without questioning about what he do..for example, when He forrbid ppl not to eat pig meat , they obeyed , they didn't say why? though the science proved recently it is harmfull ( by the way, the Egyption pope from 2monthes declared to christians not to eat pig coz it is harmful)...

every done from Allah has a wisdom either we know it or it is hidden , we obey Him in every thing coz He know and we r His creation not know as Him ,of course,....

coz u have a child brain as u say , can i ask u a question?!!!......Is the robot knowledge as his designer?!! but plz don't reply me from ur carton films u watch…. 

12:11 PM Aug 22 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

ooh, we come to the point, u want a religion permit for u making adultry with girls in the worshiping place…i know ur kind of ppl who follow their lusts only ..and u know that Islam forbid that so u fight against it..

by the way, i know that from the start but waiting to declare it by urself…if i said ur motive from the first u 'll cry , u r accusing me without any proof as u r innocent…..

no darling, if u respect woman , u'll marry her but u claim women's right , and actually u make her as a toy play with it till u be bored then throw it and replace it with another….but Islam deal with a woman as a human being not as a toy for sex or as a thing for markiting goods…

i think the converter western woman only feel what i said…

coz u r a man and ur concern only to satisfy ur lusts….if u r realy respect the woman, make her a wife not a girlfriend or mistress .. 

12:25 PM Aug 22 2008 |

jadd051

jadd051

Thailand

Could some other muslim friends here tell me pls, what osesame has said to progression is acceptable based on the holy quran or not ?

Whether this is what supposed to be called peaceful ppl of peaceful religion or not ?

And I would like to make a request;

Pls show me the holy verses concerning politeness and rudeness of your religion.

02:06 PM Aug 22 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

@ osemae

people think that only relation ship between man and women is wife, mother , sister

Have they heard of word called friend ship? 

Do i call my friends as brother or sister?definitely not

friends can be male or female…. 

progression and oseasem , Please do not bring personal issue and matters here….  when people don;t have relevent points, personal attack start

04:13 PM Aug 22 2008 |

Randyinseattle

United States

I think many of you miss the real point of the story. In this case the river was the Quoran, but there are many rivers with water that clean. All of the rivers contain dirt as well, so you use only the good parts and don't scoop up the dirt. Any river can provide the same benefit if you are wise enough leave the dirt behind at the bottom.

07:42 PM Aug 22 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

pervert and u r an angle…walking with agirl but in polite way , no touch, no…..., i think this speach is bluffing or decieving for oneself or whom?!!!!!....

at any rate, if one respect a lovegirl he will marry her not to walk and bring kids without a marraige..i think those words in all religion or let religion aside , logic…

and i think every girl feel a respectfull woman when she goes beside her husband not a just friend…..

by the way, my words r general not talking about ur relevant no, i like for her the good…and for any woman on the earth….

12:20 PM Aug 23 2008 |