Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What if we talk about the real BASIC English Lesson here?

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

I think this is really why this site was built …and also why we are all here… except of course for those who only want fun and doesn't care about improving their english skill.

What if we talk about the real BASIC english lesson here? What are NOUNS? VERBS? ADVERBS? ADJECTIVES? CONJUNCTIONS? PRONOUNS? types of sentences?parts of speech? figure of speech? the hyperbole? simile?irony?idioms? passive or active sentence? subject or predicate? the tenses? singular? plural? Agreements? etc, etc…

Why not begin from the basics?

I suppose a simple explanation of at least one of these topics would be of big help to our fellow learners here…

05:47 AM Aug 11 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

mehmetzengin

Turkey

thank you Felice for your nice comments about us. my english is poor, but i take all lessons from professional documents. i am going on dont worry :)) and later i will give web adress, but not now we must be good team before:))) have a nice day .

02:46 PM Aug 14 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Thank you too Felice for correcting my mistakes…it is really a big help for me. I know i still have plenty of mistakes and i'm glad that you are helping me to find out those errors.

My lessons that i shared here were mostly from my book, Barron's TOEFL. I'm just manually copying those lessons from that book to this site.

I would like to thank also my good friend Mehmet from Turkey who is very kind and generous too in posting substantial english lessons here… Let's keep it up buddy! I know we are on the right track…. God bless and have a nice day everyday…

03:11 PM Aug 14 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Well, I believe you're tryin' to cheer everyone up to improve their english, but this is too dangerous as Zeus well said, beside everyone can find all of this, just sailing on the net.

My point is that, instead of being talking about basics we should demand more commitment from them.

Help'em (kinda forcing'em) to use advanced english a bit more every time. I honestly believe that doing this will help'em more than just copying/pasting english lessons.

There's a saying "Give a fish to a Man and will eat for one day, Teach him how to fish and will be able to eat everyday".

Zars Enlightened

03:35 PM Aug 14 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

Zars, thanks for your comment.  I could say is that, everyone needs encouragement.  Not everybody who visited and still visit Forum are already good in english.  By encouragement, even with the small that they know, will help them to strive more.  And copying/pasting of what they have discovered from their surfing the net and passing or sharing it with others here, will also help them.  By just continously writing here, they will improve their writing.  And as they determined to learn, they will.  So, I don't want to dampen their enthusiasm by commenting about their new found sites and sharing them with us here at the Forum.  That's like giving us the net to fish and not just the fish to eat.  If they can share with us the sites they have visited, that's like giving us the net to fish.

You, too, can be of help.  So, if you're already good, help us by sharing us what you already know.  Contribute.

04:45 PM Aug 14 2006 |

bigmama

bigmama

Spain

Hello Rascal,

Congratulations for your forum. We are all in the same boat. We all need to improve so everything counts and helps.

Felice, thanks for your corrections, I'm making a mess with the punctuation, I will try to be more careful. Keep on correcting me, please.

Love and peace.

05:28 PM Aug 14 2006 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

I agree with Zars and I won't tell anything about this subject to you all.

Be happy and Healthy. Bye.

06:00 PM Aug 14 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Thanks zeus and zars for posting here. I would like to answer your worries and fear (thinking this topic will endanger, be harmful, perilous, frightful, etc. or will make learners to be truly dependent or become doled out to these lessons that we're trying to post here), but i think Madamme Felice and Seniora Big Mama had just posted  the right answer for those FRIGHTFUL FEARS of these two fellows. I just hope it will at least lessen their FEAR. (So sorry if it will not)

And I think I would request (i would rather request not demand) our fellow learners here to comment if this topic would really endanger others or not… If not then you can also share what you have just learned…If yes, then please support your answer.

If possible let us not jump to slang or short cut english such as 'em. kinda help 'em, etc until we didn't master this english well. I encouraged beginners like me to learn proper english, not the damaged english of american teens who doesn't even know the abc's of grammar.

Let's learn Proper English! That is what our purpose here!!!!!!

06:54 PM Aug 14 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Ouch, that hurts.

Well, Let me tell you and even assure you that I know a little bit about english, and that's because I like it and I've been practicing it for awhile. I do like to help people who indeed want to learn and improve english but I think that what you're doing is to repeat something that's really easy to find on the net. So if you want to continue with this, why don't you do a tutorial or sort of book, it as a matter of fact will be helpful and useful for you and others.

From my point of view, I think that the forums will be helpful if people come to talk about their life or whatever topic that can come out, that way they are going to learn more and make their vocabulary wider.

Finally to get rip of this, here you can notice and check out that I DID NOT use improper english in this entrance. But allow me to tell you a secret, the hidden truth, or whatever it is, english as you see it or picture it is very different, I'm working right now, my boss is from the states, and they DO NOT talk english in a proper way, they like slang or shortcuts like you named it, So I do it, first because I like it too, second because it's faster to write and third because I already know the meanings.

To Felice, tell everyone I'll be glad to talk (or reply) to them and help them to raise their skills, it has not been that much since I joined this website and if you do a research you're going to find that I've been posting up what I think and everyone feels comfortable to talk, contact, email, write, or read me, but never expect from me "lessons" like these, if you all want to learn, practice, improve and raise your abilities, I will always demand you.

Zars Enlightened

09:08 PM Aug 14 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

SurprisedYellCrySealedCryFrown

09:16 PM Aug 14 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Well thanks for that enlightening statements Mr. Zars. You're english is very good and if you could only realize what we're doing, then you could be of great help to beginners like me. I presume that you already had a bunch of knowledge for this language as I can see it in your postings.

But i think that what we're doing here can't be harmful to learners because we copy it from the most reliable books and sites. Let me ask you one question: What is more dangerous? To post the 'very right' english lessons from the most reliable books or sites or have informal or casual conversations? Conversations that you may not mind that sometimes you are already commiting mistakes such as grammars or english usage like this….i mean like what i'm writing-i can commit mistakes here because i'm still learning this language. 

Now, for your worries that learners who may see this may become too dependent or become 'eaters of fish' that we gave rather than 'fishers of fish'. Well. you are right that they can also see those lessons if they pursue searching those from the many english sites here in the internet. But what we do here is different, we motivate learners to search for their english lessons that they can search at their books or english sites and share those lessons here. With that system we are not promoting dependency for them because in doing so, they can not only learn by themselves but also learn to share what they have just got. Is not that more helpful?  Now, in case they or we, posted not the right lesson, then let somebody from other learners or maybe you, can correct it. Even in actual classes, teachers are still subject to mistakes, because they are only humans, 'no one is perfect' as we fondly say, but it is up to the students to judge for themselves what they will or will not absorb. Or it is their duty to correct their teachers. After all life is a learning process we must all strive for better learning throughout our lifetime period. But let us be cleared that we don't assume as if we were teachers here, but rather learners who simply wants to help others to be not only learners, but also generous 'sharers' of knowledge too. Embarassed

My apology for my past statements, maybe i'm just really too rascal sometimes that I easily loose my temper everytime i can't see the point of others… It is my weakness that i'm still trying hard to overcome…Cry I'm sorry zeus and zars my friends. I just hope you would  also try to see what we're trying to point out here.

Have a nice day and  always be happy.Laughing

09:16 PM Aug 14 2006 |