Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

DO YOU WANT TO PRACTICE YOUR ENGLISH?...

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi there!

How are you today? i hope you have a nice day and i just want to share tips and secrets to improve english… if you are really like to improve your english? feel free to contact me at any time at ...

here you go for one of my secrets to improve your english…

LISTEN! LISTEN! AND LISTEN!

Students sometimes say: 'I don't listen to the BBC news
on the radio because it's too fast for me and I can't
understand it.' That's a pity! When it's too fast for
you, when you can't understand it, that is exactly when
you NEED to listen to it!!!

How can you improve if you don't listen and practise?

When you were a baby, did you understand your own
language? When you were 3 weeks old, or 2 months, or 1
year, did you understand everything? Of course not! But
you learned to understand by listening. Think about
it. You learned to understand your own language by
listening, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After that,
you learned to speak. Then you learned to read. And then
you learned to write.

But listening came first!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND HAVE A NICE DAY

I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU

ILYAS

12:02 PM Aug 14 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

euphorine

Switzerland

Hi Hyliasma!
that’s wonderful to read your first message. you give me such a great motivation to learn more and more about english language.
Have a nice day !

03:00 PM Aug 21 2007 |

rizanicom

rizanicom

Morocco

1. hi ilyas, u are really an active and generous guy who animates this forum and helps poeple to tmprove their english language skills . i agree with all what u've said and please tell me if there is a way to talk together in order to improve our spoken english because this is really a big problem, from which suffer many people namely those who live in countries where english has no importance so again let me know ur msn in order to have a chance to get access to get english.

03:56 PM Aug 21 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi Friends,

Iits me again….how is your day today? i am glad to read your responses and i am sorry to say that i can not speak on MSN but i welcome you on google talk here is my id for you "ilyasakp" and feel free to contact me at anytime.

well, i would like to share another help that what's the best way to learn a language? well, Many students and teachers have asked this question, and the answers are as different as the peoople asking the question. here i will give you several tips for learning english. they are based on my own experience in learning languages. these tips helped me when i learned a foreign language, and i hope that they will help you as you work on improving your english.

First of all, you must want to learn. if you are not interested in learning English, no class will help you, no book will help you, and no hints will make it easier. if you are not interested, you will find reaons to avaoid studying. and whenever you do study, it will be very difficult. so you have to be honest with yourself. Ask yourself, "Do i really want to learn English?" if you can't answer "Yes" to this question, it is better for you to set English aside until you're ready and willing to learn.

thats all today and i will continue next tip tomorrow…

Good Luck with your English and have a nice day…

Ilyas

05:06 AM Aug 26 2007 |

little penguin

China

Thanks very much. what you said is very right. when I was in school my English is not very well, because not listening as soon as possible. I think my English will be better than before. contact me.

06:55 AM Aug 26 2007 |

whosnext

Australia

Hullo from an elderly man from Western Australia. I was born here so speak English (not english) all the time.

I used to have a shop and found there were customers from many different countries, so I learned how to say thank you in about 12 different languages.

If I said something wrong, people were kind and told me the correct way. They wee pleased that at least I gave them a compliment by TRYING to speak in their language. Please remember this, those of you who say " I am afraid to speak English in case I am wrong. " How did we learn about touching certain things-—because we tried and found out found out BY TRYING whether it was safe or not.

Tape recorders are important. You can play them back at whatever speed you are comfortable with, pause and make notes, re-play over and over-wonderful.

Be careful, if you ask some-one " is it correct to say( or write ) " this—-be sure that they definitely do know the correct way. When you do find a knowledgeable person, ask if they mind you asking other questions whenever you need help. I have never met a person who has said no.

Regards from whosnext

07:39 AM Aug 26 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi there!

Thank you for writing in here i am happy reading your posts. how are you? i hope you are safe and out of touble. well, here i would like to continue my next tip for all of you.

well, my Next tip is that, we need to identify our motivation. ask yourself that, "Why do i want to learn Englsih? Why do i want to improve my English?"
Some poeple want to learn English to get a better job, or to be considered for a promotion. Other people may need to learn  English so they can enjoy life meeting many people from all round the world.  by being able to understand movies and TV, and make friends from all over the world. Each person is different, so their motivations will be different also. If you have identified your motivation, it will be easier for you to learn English, because it will help to encourage you as you learn English.

Thats it today and you have a nice day…

ILyas

08:16 AM Aug 27 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hello Friends,

well, let me continue to day that once you have identified your motivation, you can set some goals for learning English. Having goals will help you to remember that areas you want to work on, and it will help you to see your progress.

Ask yourself, "What are my goals? What areas would i like to improve?" Prounciation? Listening compreshension? Would you like to increase your vocabulary? do you want to know what to say when you go to the bank, the doctor, shoping? think about what your goals are, and review once in a while to see that you are making progress toward your goals.

if you are really interesting learning english feel free to join ME AT following forum http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/AskEnglish/thread/49781.

Good Day..

Ilyas

09:37 AM Aug 28 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi There!

Well, its me again, after you have set your goals, you have a better idea of what you need to practice. Just like the athlete whose goal is the Olympics must train daily, you as a language learner must practice language every day to make progress toward your goal. We say, "Practice makes perfect." This means the more you practice something, the better you become at it, and the fewer mistakes you will make.

Specific ways to practice:

• Speak to others as much as possible.
    • Write, write, write – letters, email, notes, etc.
    • Make phone calls to practice your English

Thank you for your time and have a nice day

Ilyas

07:40 AM Aug 29 2007 |

tdmsilvino

tdmsilvino

Brazil

I had a great problem with listening then I began to look for some web sites where I could find some real spoken English. Look at the following post and you will find a lot of them.

http://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/2415/member_submitted/english_practice

See ya! 

04:30 PM Aug 29 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi there Kamka, 

How are you today? I hope you are having a nice day. Well, I just wanted to thank you and other that whoever posing in this forum. Here I would like to post another help that expose yourself to English as much as possible.  

The more we expose ourselves to English, the more we get used to it and the more familiar it becomes to us. We will start to recognize what sounds right and what sounds wrong. We will also start to understand why certain words or phrases are used instead of others, and we will start to use them in our own conversations and writing. English will start to become a habit, and little by little we will find it easier to use English.  

Specific ways to increase exposure to English are:  

• Watch TV and movies.
  • Listen to the radio.
  • Read as much as possible 

Good luck with your English 

Good Day…Ilyas 

08:17 AM Sep 01 2007 |