Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Homosexual marriages legalized in Australia

Nasim

Nasim

India

Under the new laws, gay couples will be able to hold a legally recognised civil union ceremony in front of friends and family in the territory, which is home to the capital Canberra and the nation's parliament.

The region's legislators approved the bill, which moved by the local Greens party.

Andrew Barr, an ACT minister who is in a gay relationship, wept as he spoke in support of the bill.

"Love, trust and intimacy and commitment are found at the heart of all good relationships," Mr Barr later told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I'm proud that this parliament will send that signal that my relationship with Anthony is equal to any other."

The law was drafted so that it does not contravene national legislation which says that civil unions must not mimic marriage.

"We understand that this is not same-sex marriage," said Greens MP Shane Rattenbury, who drafted the bill.

"This legislation is another step along the road to full equality for same-sex couples in Australia, and we are delighted that the assembly has passed it today," he added.

However, the law could still be struck down by Australia's attorney-general, who overturned similar legislation in February 2008 on the grounds it broke national marriage laws.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/6545116/Gay-unions-made-legal-in-Australian-territory.html

[The homosexuals aren't still given the rights to adopt a child or get a child via artificial insemination.] 

07:15 PM Dec 12 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

good step forward

03:31 PM Dec 13 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Absolute stupidity. 

But what can you expect of a left-wing government? They don't have time to fight for the economy but they sure have time to divide the country by forcing in ridiculous measures.

Why not legalize zoophilie next?

06:14 PM Dec 13 2009 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

they should legalizeit! theyhave so many rights as a straigh couple have!

09:36 PM Dec 14 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Why not legalize zoophilie next?

Because animals are unable to give consent to such acts. Humans, of age, and of sound mind are, and it seems reasonable to afford anyone the same rights given to others.

that in mind, I would be completely in favor of governments granting no special rights or privileges to couples of any sex, same or different. 

11:24 PM Dec 14 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

There's a certain moral barrier that a government provides.

Legalizing homosexuality lifts that barrier.

Equally a government doesn't legalize drugs just based on the fact that people choose to do it.

theyhave so many rights as a straigh couple have!

Why? Is a gay couple the same as a straight couple?

11:50 PM Dec 14 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

There's a certain moral barrier that a government provides.

Legalizing homosexuality lifts that barrier.

Equally a government doesn't legalize drugs just based on the fact that people choose to do it. 

But many have done exactly that, not because 'people do it', but because they possibly understand that perhaps the government should not be involved in what adults choose to do that doesn't infringe on the rights of others.   

01:22 AM Dec 15 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

theyhave so many rights as a straigh couple have!

Why? Is a gay couple the same as a straight couple? 

In what significant way (other than sex) are they not the same? 

01:23 AM Dec 15 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

that perhaps the government should not be involved in what adults choose to do that doesn't infringe on the rights of others.  

What right does it infringe on to take heroin or coccaine? 

The basis for the ban of narcotics is that it is personally harmful.

One union produces offspring, the other doesn't. 

One union is based and rooted in the commitment to family and society, as well as biological drives shared by most other people and nature's creation.

The other is based solely on sexual urges, no different than any other.

02:30 AM Dec 15 2009 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

Scientifically a male has some production of progesteron and estradiol and a women produces testosterone/androgen. These gonad hormones are what induce the sex drive. Sex is a natural tendency, and so long as it doesn't harm a person it can't be prohibited.

Drugs are injurious to health and harmful. Just like a government has no rights to legalize suicide. You might argue about the VD risks, but with propers cautions these can be lowered. Not that in straight couples VD is a rarity.

03:45 AM Dec 15 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

hat perhaps the government should not be involved in what adults choose to do that doesn't infringe on the rights of others.  

What right does it infringe on to take heroin or coccaine? 

none, for the most part, which is my point. If you choose to use heroin or cocaine, it does not make me less free or hinder me in any way. When it does, I will start to be concerned about your personal choices.  

The basis for the ban of narcotics is that it is personally harmful.

I'm quite happy to let your parents worry about you harming yourself. I'd prefer the government not take on that role. 

One union produces offspring, the other doesn't. 

I think that's irrelevant to whether they should have the same privileges as others. Should we also then deny the rights of marriage or civil union to infertile couples, or to couples who are beyond child-bearing age? 

One union is based and rooted in the commitment to family and society, as well as biological drives shared by most other people and nature's creation.

No marriage then, for couples that cannot prove their commitment to family and community? Laws based on biological drives might seem to point towards legalizing polygamy as impregnating as many females as possible seems to be the biological imperative driving most males, including primates like ourselves. 

The other is based solely on sexual urges, no different than any other.

I think you could put many traditional marriages in that category. I also think that it's very misguided to think that same-sex relationships are based solely on sex.  

04:13 AM Dec 15 2009 |