Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Iran 'paid Iraq insurgents to kill UK soldiers'

gkisseberth

Germany

Iran 'paid Iraq insurgents to kill UK soldiers' By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent Last Updated: 10:45AM BST 25/05/2008 Iran has secretly paid Iraqi insurgents hundreds of thousands of American dollars to kill British soldiers, according to a leaked government document obtained by The Telegraph. Mahdi Army fighters take positions in Basra: Iran paid Iraq insurgents to kill UK soldiers Mahdi Army fighters take positions in Basra: the reports details that young men were paid up to up to $300 a month to fight the British

The allegations are contained in a confidential "field report" written by a British officer who served in Basra during one of the most dangerous periods of the conflict. The report, which has never been made public, shows the full level of Iran's involvement in the insurgency for the first time.

The document states that the Jaish al-Mahdi (JAM) – also known as the Mahdi Army – one of the most violent insurgent groups operating in Basra, used money from Iran to recruit and pay young unemployed men up to $300 (£150) a month to carry out attacks against the British. The findings have been passed to the highest levels in the military.

The leak comes at a time of rising tension between Iran and the international community, as Tehran continues to stonewall UN inquiries into allegations that it has carried out research to develop a nuclear weapon.

01:09 PM May 25 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

300 bucks???????

wtf?

it's "amazing" how people agreed to kill for freaking 300 bucks.. :(

prayers for the UK soldiers.. 

07:53 PM May 25 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I guess when you're unemployed 300 dollars a month is a lot of money.

Hakimi, can you give examples of the US paying insurgents to kill troops in another country?

If you do find examples, do you think it's wrong for the US to do that? Do you think it's equally wrong for Iran?

01:20 PM May 26 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

have you seen the report ?or you were with thew when they gave the money.they said a lot of wrong things adout irak  .for ex did they find nuclear weapons there as their secrets reports  detail? besides what are these soldiers doing in irak?

02:24 PM May 26 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

No, lilmira, I have not read the report obtained by The Telegraph, and I was not there when allegedly Iraq gave them the money. Do you refuse to believe that it happened or that it's possible unless you witnessed it?  

Do you think that if it IS true, that Iran is paying Iraqi militants to attack and kill British soldiers, that it is okay?  

03:44 PM May 26 2008 |

LearnSmart

Venezuela

Why am I not surprised?!

Come all you defendants of jihadist! Bring excuses to justify Iran's beautiful attitude!

-

Learn English 

05:47 PM May 26 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

i don't believe in the USA propaganda and its reports.they entered irak to bring freedom and democracy and to have a war against sadam.then they changed their words .they entered irak to fight against terrorism. was there any terorist before the invasion? that's the question. they are fooling us.why are some countries helping  the US forces in irak and why the irakee people must stay alone, have no help , and accept the occupation? can any nation in the world accept to be occupied and stolen without fighting and leading struggles  for its independence.iran  hasn't the right to have nuclear resources but the USA has the right to throw it on people's heads.it's a shame for humanity to be silent concernig colonisation and its crimes.even a  government can be a terrorist one .

defendents of the jiadist! how about the defendents of colonisation and opression? do you know what's the meaning of a jihadist in arabic? what we hear from the  media is not always true.

08:24 PM May 26 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

limira, the question is not that there are Iraqis who believe that the US led forces are occupying their country and their decision to fight. The question is, do you think it's right for Iran to send money (and most certainly weapons as well) to those militants?

For the record, I don't think the US government invaded Iraq to bring the people freedom and democracy either. It might be one benefit of a bad situation, but I don't believe that was the reason. I suspect most Americans don't really think that either. 

08:45 PM May 26 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

what we hear from the  media is not always true.

and what make you think that what you hear from your media is true??

was there any terrorism before the invansion…mmm let me see… there was a genocide icon named Saddam Hussein…wait a minute, I think you think he's not a terrorist ;) I'll bet 100 bucks for that :)

oh and maybe, just maybe you can think that after Hussein is gone, the sunni and shiah were fighting and caused numbers of iraqis died and US tried to fix what Bush has caused? yes Bush made a mistake but you must be blind if you cant see how we tried to fix what happened and that we do something to help the country.

why the irakee people must stay alone, have no help , and accept the occupation

this is ridiculous if you know the situation over there, the iraqis policemen work together with the foreign soldiers to establish their national security..without american and foreign soldiers, this country will NEVER have plumbing in 80 percent of it's houses, hospitals, playboy magazine (even from the 60's ok this one is not a good example).

Bush made a huge mistake with the Iraq war with taking Hussein away.If Hussein is still alive, off course the sunni and Shiah won't fight each other and won't kill their own people (sort of) and americans will still love Bush..and we don't have to spend so much money on Iraq war..

BUT I don't want to hear anyone talking sh*t about the US forces. or the country.  they do their job, it doesn't matter who's the president because they're serving the country. Unfortunately…the one that rules the country is Mr. Bush..

Hey, I'm open to all opportunity of having our soldiers that serve in that damn hell hole  come back home safe and sound. 

08:57 PM May 26 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

no it wasnt the purpose I think the purpose was Bush's goal to get Saddam…it was his father goal. then became his. IMHO.

08:59 PM May 26 2008 |

hammad22a

hammad22a

Saudi Arabia

I must to say good to do Basra kill more why? because the USA promises to leave Iraq  but they didn't if the people in british or US killed because of there government and there  bad promises.

but I hope from the USA and UK to keep there people in save and turn them back to there home. 

09:12 PM May 26 2008 |