Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

ball dominant

ball dominant

Date: Jan 04 2018

Themes: Celebrity, Hobbies, Sports

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Somebody will say, ‘ball-dominant,’ but at the end of the day, you’re called on to do what your team needs you to do.”

—Basketball star Chris Paul, speaking about the fact that he often controls the ball during basketball games (SportingNews)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

describes a person who most often has the ball during sports

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

In every sporting event, there is usually at least one person who controls much of the game. In ball sports, this person will usually have the ball for the longest time. Sometimes, this can be annoying for other players because they don’t get to do as much. However, when your team needs points, it can be good to have a ball-dominant player on your team.

When a player is ball dominant, they have the ball the most. In the game of basketball, this usually means that they can move the ball up or down the court very quickly for their team. Chris Paul of the Houston Rockets is one of these players. He won many awards because he is so good. However, people sometimes complain because he controls so much of the game.

Are you a ball-dominant player? How do you feel when someone else is ball dominant?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I don’t like playing with Steve because he’s so ball dominant.”

“Teams need to have at least one ball-dominant player.”

“You had the ball almost all the time. You’re totally ball dominant.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

The player who gets the ball most of the game and doesn't pass it.
by La Princesse de la vie

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

IanJanik

Denmark

Jumanji

03:44 PM Jan 08 2018 |

1 person likes this

zhenningx

zhenningxSuper Member!

Canada

Although Chris Paul is ball dominant, he is unselfish and creates a lot of opportunities for others in his team, unlike a few other super stars.

10:55 PM Jan 04 2018 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

I not considering me a ball-dominant player. I often try to support the team, more than pick the ball trying to score. This is due to lack of skills to be the ball-dominant player (in basketball or football, I must admit!

10:01 AM Jan 04 2018 |

GWTA

GWTASuper Member!

Germany

I was never ball dominant. Because ball sports are not my cup of tea. I do asian figth sports since i was a 6 year old boy. 

09:34 AM Jan 04 2018 |

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

It’s so utterly boring to play against ball dominant person or team as then nothing left for uncertainty. People watch or play game for competence but when predictable it’s like international team vs college team.
For decades, Serena Williams (tennis player) has had proved herself to be so ball dominant that there left no charm in women tennis; as everyone tends to predict that she will be wining again. :-))

05:30 AM Jan 04 2018 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast