Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

New Year's Frustration
New Year's Frustration

Learn English meaning of 'New Year's Frustration'

Date: Feb 15 2017

Themes: Health, Hobbies

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Happy New Year!!! For many people, these words mean that it’s time to set a new goal. A New Year’s Resolution is something a person wants to do in the new year. The most common New Year’s Resolutions are familiar to all of us. We all want to lose weight, spend less money, and enjoy life more. The internet has many tips on how to do these things.

So, should you jump right in after setting a New Year’s Resolution? Maybe. On one hand, you’re excited and ready to start making progress. On the other hand, it’s easy to feel frustrated and stressed out after only a few weeks. Please keep in mind that you have the entire year for this goal. Do just a little bit every day and soon, you’ll achieve your goal.

Jessica is telling Andy that she can’t stand all the new people at her gym this month. Listen to today’s English lesson to learn why everyone wants to work out right now.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Andy_H

Andy_H

Jessica:  So, Andy, I’ve been going to this same gym for over a year now, but when I was there the other day…

Andy_H:  Yep?

Jessica:  ...there were so many new faces.

Andy_H:  Oh, boy!

Jessica:  Almost every machine was taken. I was so frustrated!

Andy_H:  New Year’s, New Me. I know exactly what you mean.

Jessica:  Ugh, I didn’t even think about that.

Andy_H:  Every New Year’s, for about 3 weeks, people make their New Year’s Resolutions that they’re going to lose 50 pounds. Then, they go to the gym for 3 weeks. Then, they never go back.

Jessica:  Oh, I hope that’s what happens. I just liked how empty it was. I just liked seeing friendly familiar faces every time I went.

Andy_H:  If there’s one thing I can’t stand about New Year’s, New Me, it’s that people think they need to work out 7 days a week, and then they get stressed out. If there’s anything that I’ve noticed that can work, it’s… don’t jump right in, start very slowly. Run one mile, and then take 2 days off. Maybe, then those new faces can become old friends.

Jessica:  There you go. See, and I’ll even keep in mind all of those awesome tips.

Andy_H:  Enjoy that New Year’s.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica is frustrated. She’s a healthy person who likes to work out, but it’s tough right now. Every time she goes to the gym, it’s full of new people. Her favorite machine is usually taken, and she doesn’t see familiar faces anymore. She can’t stand it!

Andy doesn’t want Jessica to be stressed out. She should keep in mind that these new people will probably be gone in a few weeks. They decided to jump right in after making their New Year’s Resolutions, but they’ll get tired of working out soon. In the meantime, maybe, Jessica could make a few new friends at the gym.

Do you usually make a New Year’s Resolution? Do you have any good tips about getting more exercise?

Comments

englishteacher24/7

United States

William Shakespeare said in one of his plays, ”...to thine own self be true.”

Julito at least you’re not in denial of the truth. Eventually, with persistence you’ll get the victory.

07:06 PM Feb 15 2017 |

sessia

sessia

Hungary

My resolutions aren’t related to New Year. Failure makes me more active.

In case of working out, I need company. It means support and reassurement for all of us.

06:51 PM Feb 15 2017 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

VERSAM 

Al que madruga Dios lo ayuda.  The early bird catches the worm, in your case , treadmills, stationary bikes. 

12:13 PM Feb 15 2017 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

My new year resolution is the same. At the end of the calendar year, and right into the newborn year I promise to quit smoking and to enroll in an English academy. The problem is that not only I don´t jump right in,  I never jump. You would want to know why, here’s  the thing: I am addictive to nicotine and i am afraid that the cost of my english classes would be too high for my monthly budget. 

Versam

Colombia

My new reolutions of this year is work out every morning before go to work, not in the gym but in my own home. It is a little hard because I have to wake up earlier and is very stressed out, nevertheless, the machine never is taken!!!

max1983max

max1983max

Germany

Setting goals is new year resolution. It is not easy as it seems to be. Wish all an exciting and balanced year. Piece!

meyban

meyban

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

As i said i fixin to go to bodybulding after 3 years. I play vollybal twice in week too. so for the new gym, i dont jump right in and i,ll start very slowly so new faces can become old friends. ;)

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast