Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Chappie
Chappie

Learn English in this 'Chappie' movie ESL lesson

Date: Mar 13 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture, Tech

Grammar: First Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

What happens when robots become our police? Probably nothing good. But what happens when one of those robots is taken and changed to think for himself? Well, that’s “Chappie.” A world of thinking, feeling robots is real in this movie by Neill Blomkamp, the director of “District 9.”

“Chappie” is set in South Africa. It is about a new kind of robot that is made like a human. In the movie, “Chappie” must fight back against people trying to terminate him. Some fans may not typically like robot movies, but “Chappie” isn’t a normal robot.

Sara’s a big fan of movies with robots. But can she get Kellie to see it with her? Find out more in this English lesson about a new film.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Sara_R

Sara_R

Kellie

Kellie

Sara_R:  Kellie, have you seen the trailer for “Chappie?” I just saw it and it wowed me.

Kellie:   Oh, really? Yeah, I did see it actually. I don’t know that director though, do you?

Sara_R:   I do. He’s the same director who made “District 9.” His work is unparalleled.

Kellie:  I’m not really into movies about robots, but it seemed kind of interesting where the robot can think for himself. Is that correct?

Sara_R:  Yes, they make this robot who can think for himself, and then he’s in danger because some of the other people don’t want him to exist. Does this sound interesting to you? Do you want to go see this?

Kellie:   Yeah, I mean I might want to see it. I’m always up for going to see a movie.

Sara_R:  Come and see it with me, and if you don’t like it, I’ll buy pizza.

Kellie:   OK, sounds good.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "First Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Sara wants to go see the new movie “Chappie,” because the trailer wowed her. She likes the director, who also made the movie “District 9,” and thinks that his work is unparalleled. Sara hopes to bring Kellie along to the theater.

Kellie is on the fence about whether or not she wants to see “Chappie.” She doesn’t normally like movies about robots, but she does admit this one seems kind of interesting. When Sara offers to buy pizza for her, Kellie agrees to go.

Do you like movies about robots? What is your favorite one?

Comments

Sami Aswad

Sami Aswad

Iraq

Im not really into robot movies, but chaapie seems kind of intersting, i may watch it, the only robot movie that i saw before a long time was irobot 

08:11 AM Apr 05 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I’m not into robot movies. But I’ve seen a movie I Robot starred by Will Smith. It was about robots as servants for people. These robots spread in the society and Will Smith is a cop and he hates robots. Then out of nothing, these robots rebel against their owners and a small war begins till the good side wins. And all robots are terminated in the end.

I said I’m not into robot movies, but this is the best movie I had watched for Will Smith. 

Chappie seems a bit interesting to me, but I’m still on the fence whether I really want to see it or not.

09:57 PM Mar 16 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

And Chappie movie is not for kids. Sponge Bob out of water will do for them, where Sponge is not a robot, he’s just a sponge, not quite smart, but funny:)

02:33 PM Mar 16 2015 |

1 person likes this

promise222

United States

I’m as well not tepically into robots movie, but this one seems intersting to me !!
On the other hand, I prefer romance or comedy movies.

12:19 AM Mar 16 2015 |

Mike2014

Mike2014

Poland

in my opinion these robot can increas our easment but they cant increas our pacificaton and they dont have humanity

12:18 PM Mar 15 2015 |

caiweixi

China

I just heard of it,and I never seen movies about robots

07:46 AM Mar 15 2015 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

I look forward to this new movie

02:28 AM Mar 15 2015 |

iftikhar659668

Pakistan

yes i do, most of robot bollywood  movies i have been watching and its more interesting when robot movies are unparalleled.moreover, i aslo watached indian robot movie its just wowed me. 

as the qustion asked above, what happens when robots become our police?/

i saw many movies and the role of policeman are just like …... well, acting in movies are pre-planed but in real life they aslo act like that they are not honest with there duties. and i m sure that this condition is happening around the globe. 

by answeing to this qustion robots are should be placed with humans in police, i think that they will do what ever you fix functions in it. at least it works with honest.

09:56 PM Mar 14 2015 |

sara1234b

sara1234b

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hey !

No, i dont .

BUt they show us a way to examine our own humanity, and how we would be without emotion.

The philosophy of artificial intelligence attempts to answer that can a machine have a mind ?

artificial intelligence is perttry damn cool.

07:56 PM Mar 14 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

thanks Mahtab,for reminding other wonderful movie, Bicentennial man :) 

One robot’s 200-year journey to become an ordinary man ( Andrew’s story ) 

really, role of Robin Williams was extraordinary as a NDR-114 Android ..

“Smart, Funny and Touching “movie.

like other beautiful movies,this movie had a sad ending (((((

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

I do love robot movies but not all of them. 

My favourite ones are “real steel” “surrogates” “I robot” and sure “Wall-E” ;)

Robot humans? Well, that reminds me the series “The Big Bang Theory”, the main character Sheldon Cooper has a robotic character and his friends joke about this but he takes that as a compliment.

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Dear Seiyf,

How true it is when you say that some people look like robots. Thanks for your interesting comment. 

As I already wrote to you, I was half asleep last night and mixed up your name with dear Julito’s. I’m really sorry for the confusion I caused. 

Take care! 

01:49 AM Mar 14 2015 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Well!

I love watching movies and why not this one!

I like movies about robots! You know why?

Because these movies remind me the relationship between humans and God!!

God created us but we dont want to die!!

We dont want to accept many things in our life!

We dont want the fate that decreed for us!

And what we do?

We try to live more and we try to change our destiny to what we want!

It is what the robots exactly do in movies! ;)

My favorite movie about robots is “Bicentennial Man” that Robin Willaims was starring there! He was my Favorite actor too! ( God bless him)

The other movies I have seen are Terminator (series) , Robocop , Transformers , and many others that I cant remember noW

And alsooo … Wall-E! :D

Yes I loved this animation so much and I remember that I cried for Wall-E!

Oh! When I remember his innocent eyessss!!! :)) 

Seiyf now people laugh at me not you! ;)

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Dear Julito,

Don’t tease poor “she” gender like this. 

By the way, I like your comment about people becoming robots when they stop thinking for themselves and start following others blindly. Very nicely put indeed.

04:14 PM Mar 13 2015 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Seiyf ,hello.  I have previously thought about your last paragraph “some people look like robots” , but I didn`t want to put it in writing . Now i do. i agree with you. 

We are everyday bombarded with every kind of “propaganda” buy this and that.  If it is a politician  …follow me ,i will not dissappoint you. etc. etc. Are we not robots if we believe everyword and promise  and thenceforth we not discriminate between  lie and truth ?

julito

julito

Argentina

The ultimate breakthrough in robotics would be to create  a robot with capabilities to think for himself,  as “chappie” does. Robots are usually portrayed as evil creatures, although we already have helpful domestic robots that do house chores ,it is true  that  they represent evil when robots  took over industrial line of productions leaving unemployed our  young manpower. 

Shoba, talking about  robots losing their senses, can we imagine what would happen  if is a “she robot” and was giving a credit card  ,how many Gucci`s tin bags   would like to buy .jejejejeje

12:26 PM Mar 13 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

I didnt watch more robot movies, but ı remember a robot movie ,called ” WALL-E ” and ı liked it too much .

it had a different story about robots in our empty world but it had a perfect story too about Love.. Yess,Love between two robots, Wall-E & Eve ..please, dont laugh, also Robots can love :) 

why dont you believe it?  but you believe that  some people look like robots  :))

WALL-Eposter.jpg

habiba 18

habiba 18

Tunisia

i love the transformers and i, robot <3 

12:13 PM Mar 13 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

I don’t get all excited and start whistling when a robot comes on the screen. At the same time, I don’t mind watching a movie about robots occasionally if it gets rave reviews. 

My favorite one is “Enthiran”, an Indian movie in which a robot with human emotions falls madly in love with its creator’s girlfriend and gets ready to destroy everyone who stands in its way. Love can make robots also lose their senses! 

Mehdi23

Mehdi23

what will happen if rioters hack the robot system and take control of them

11:12 AM Mar 13 2015 |

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter