Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

in one's blood

简体
in one's blood
与生俱来

Date: May 23 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“You can see their passion. The service they provide is so in their blood.”

- Actor Gerard Butler on working with US Secret Service agents (Parade)

“你可以感受到他们的热情。他们的工作本领真的是与生俱来的。”

— 演员杰拉德·巴特勒 (Gerard Butler) 谈论与美国特勤局特工的合作

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

comes naturally to, often because of a family connection

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Is there something that you love doing so much that it’s as if you were meant to do it? Maybe it’s playing music. You love it so much that you can’t remember a moment when you didn’t love it. You can’t remember anyone ever teaching or telling you to love it. It’s as if it was just there from the moment you were born. It’s part of you. It’s in your blood.

You also use the expression in your blood to refer to a quality that’s passed on from a family member. So you might say that music is in your blood if one of your parents was a musician, too. It’s as if it’s part of your DNA or your genetic makeup. It’s just natural.

Actor Gerard Butler was very impressed by the men he met who worked in the Secret Service. Their passion for their job and their country was so strong that it didn’t seem like something they could have just learned. It seemed like something that was in their blood.

What’s something that you love that you feel like is in your blood? Do you think qualities like love of music or sports or a profession can be passed down from your parents?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My father was a piano player, so music is really in my blood.”

“I’ve loved basketball ever since I was a kid. It’s like it’s in my blood.”

“He’s a pacifist. It’s just not in his blood to fight.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Julissita Something natural in someone's personality.
by Julissita
It means by nature or naturally
by physicsstudent
Ahshan the natural character
by Ahshan
a2020 it's internal and it's their gene.
by a2020
shaerwan part of one's essential nature
by shaerwan
aria8111 something in their structural, gene and innate qualification that they have
by aria8111

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

thiagokami

thiagokami

Brazil

Drawing is in my blood, I remember to see my mother painting when I was a child. She always blow me away.

09:26 PM May 23 2013 |

1 person likes this

Levi3262

Levi3262

Brazil

Compose is in my blood, I love to write things, stories, songs ….

09:01 PM May 23 2013 |

3emma3

3emma3

Iraq

Painting  is in my blood. I always miss my pencil when i want to express my happiness or sadness.

08:25 PM May 23 2013 |

sadafh

sadafh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

being an English teacher is in my blood, l have passion for this job & l will never get bored with it

06:04 PM May 23 2013 |

1 person likes this

modaher

modaher

Iraq

Yes., And also in working hard work and sincerity and provide service to others and disease.It has become in my blood

05:15 PM May 23 2013 |

Stephieee

Stephieee

Poland

I love to dance and make jokes ;D It’s in my blood :) Dance – from my mum, jokes from my dad :)

04:52 PM May 23 2013 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Julito, I heard you  loud and clear on that one.

I’m nowhere near a gambler either , but every once in a while I’d take my chances on  a lottery ticket. It’s something I do at random, usually when I have some loose change in my pocket and  I see  that neon sign outside a store that nudges me and say “ today might just be your lucky day, have a go at it snoopy : )”. However, I never let myself go to the point where I see winning the lottery as the only avenue or shortcut to achieving my goals-it’s merely something I do out of ennui.

What’s it my blood? Whatever was in that glass before I chug  it down my throat… awww : ), I think I got that guilty pleasure from my father’s side of my bloodline : ) my mother’s side of it  is trying to curb that, though. But a glimpse at the wrong billboard or picking up the wrong menu at a restaurant  always hurls me back to a satisfying relapse :). If any of you is wondering what I am alluding to, perhaps you’re not old enough to drink …oops ; )

04:40 PM May 23 2013 |

Nicte ha

Nicte ha

Mexico

I love languages, it’s in my blood to learn more & more :)

03:36 PM May 23 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Although I am not a compulsive gambler, what  I have inherited from my family  is a mild addiction to play lottery ,  definitely, gambling runs in my blood .

10:48 AM May 23 2013 |

fatison

fatison

Algeria

to do things perfectly and willingly

09:57 AM May 23 2013 |

manu_wj

manu_wj

Italy

running is in my blood

07:08 AM May 23 2013 |

Arlinrat Aui

Thailand

Often i had a crazy to do work hard, i think seemed like that to a quality that’s passed on from my father It’s part of me. It’s in my blood.

yes, i think so can pass down from my parent :D

02:51 AM May 23 2013 |

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: