Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

stand up for yourself

stand up for yourself

Date: Apr 21 2004

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I think it gives you a bit of a hardness, because it makes you be on guard and ready to stand up for yourself. So, some confidence is a really good thing that Wales has given me. But I would prefer that people not make fun of Welsh people, ‘cause we’re great. I’m very proud to be Welsh. My mom is half-English, so technically I guess I’m half, but I still consider myself Welsh because I lived there until I was 18. It’s like my home, you know?”
- Jem, musician, talking about people in London who make fun of people from Wales. [musictoday]

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

defend yourself, be strong when facing a conflict, fight for yourself, defend your opinion or point of view, protect yourself from danger, support yourself in a difficult situation

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When you “stand up for yourself” you are taking control of a situation and making sure that you are not hurt or taken advantage of. For example, you might need to “stand up for yourself” if one of your teachers gives you a bad grade and you don’t think you deserved it. You’d have to go to the teacher and tell him/her that you think you should have gotten a better grade. Or, if your mother is blaming you for doing something bad, and you didn’t do it, you have to “stand up for yourself” and explain to her what really happened.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””Danny is such a wimp, he never stands up for himself. He lets people treat him so badly!”“

””It doesn’t matter how mean Jeff is being to you, you need to stand up for yourself and tell him that he’s not going to hurt you anymore. You need to take control of your life and make yourself happy. He’s never going to change.”“

””I have a lot of respect for Andrew. A lot of people are mean to him, but he always stands up for himself and tells them to leave him alone. He’s a really strong kid.”“

””I was so angry because my co-workers were always so mean to me. Finally I had to stand up for myself and tell them that I would quit if they continued to be so mean.”“

””It doesn’t matter how mean Jeff is being to you, you need to stand up for yourself and tell him that he’s not going to hurt you anymore. You need to take control of your life and make yourself happy. He’s never going to change.”“

””I don’t know why the teacher always picks on you. Maybe she just thinks you could be doing better. I think you need to stand up for yourself and tell her that you’re doing your best and that she should stop being mean to you.”“

””I know I’m a good person, but for some reason I always let people treat me badly. I need to learn to stand up for myself so people stop taking advantage of me.”“

””I don’t know why the teacher always picks on you. Maybe she just thinks you could be doing better. I think you need to stand up for yourself and tell her that you’re doing your best and that she should stop being mean to you.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

to defend yourself when facing setbacks or difficulties; to fight for the right that you deserve
by yan (Hefei, China)
its when you defend your opinion or your point of view
by Juli (Cascavel, Brasil)
stand up for yourself” means to defend yourself by yourself.
by Dana (Dubai)
Being independence, trying to acheive own identity
by sweety (Biratnagar, Nepal)
It means: to defend yourself and your ideas.
by homayoun (Mashhad, Iran)
I think it means someone has to face some sort of diffcult situations by himself. Just try to be independent or do it by himself or herself.
by Charlie (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
I think it means to protect him/herself.
by Asya (Chambarak, Armenia)
It’s much likely to mean to defead yourself against exterior attacks and criticism. To establish your stand, your point of view.
by Shirley (Hangzhou, China)
If a person “stand up for himself”, any time he is on guard. If something unhappy happens, he must protect himself from being hurt, he will say something for himself.
by Yue (Shenyang, China)
defend for yourself, being strong and confident, or earning rights for yourself
by Elaine (Taipei, Taiwan)
Stand up for oneself—means support oneself, make a stand for oneself.
by Emily (Qinhuangdao, China)
fight for yourself, defend for your own sake
by cindy
Stand up for yourself” means you have to put your own effort to do sth without depending on someone else. Everything should be done totally by yourself.
by Thao den (HCMC, Vietnam)
stand up for yourself means do or say something to protect yourself and to show that you are good.
by Ivy (Penang, Malaysia)
If you stand up for someone or something, you defend or support them forcefully when they have been criticized.
by Matilda (Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C)
stand up yourself – i think ti means “do something with your own! believe yourself, and without other’s help!”
by wei (Nanjing, China)
To do something only by oneself without anyone’s help.
by xinshuang (Xuzhou, China)
stand up for youself may means that one has to over come something with little or no helpness, one has to solve some troubles by himself or herself
by quiet001 (Xi’an, China)
I think it means you gotta not be chicken, face the music and keep ur diginity.
by Ahmed (Muscat, Oman)
I guess that means taking care by yourself, standing up by yourself, doing something by yourself.
by puff (SZ, China)
to defend oneself against the environment, to keep one’s dignity
by yak (Beijing, China)
Cheer up yourself to do something; Concentrate your energy to deal with something.
by WAVE (Guangzhou City, China)
stick to your own opinion, will not change your mind, not give up
by xiang (Shanghai, China)
speak out for youreslf
by Inhee (Seoul, Korea)
Face things with your own streigth.
by Bruno (Campina Grande PB, Brasil)
“Stand up for” means defend, give support to. I can’t believe nobody stood up for me when they started giving me a hard time.
by Sherry (ShenZhen, China)
Stand up for yourself means depen on your in a given situation, be able to solve the problems you face with no assistance or help.
by Alejandro (Mèxico, Mèxico)
When sb is ready to stand up for himself, it means he want to find some excuse or explanation to support his/her points.
by linda (Xiamen, China)
Self dependent (Indeppendent), represent.
by Kshitiz (Sedalia, USA)
Grow up on one’s own, support by oneself.
by Wing (Australia)
depend on yourself
by vicky (Shanghai, China)
have confidence on oneself
by ivy (Shenzhen, China)

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Likes (3):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast