Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

milking

milking

Date: Jan 02 2003

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I’m milking this show for everything it’s worth.”
Jack Osbourne, talking about the success of the hit TV show, The Osbournes.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

making full use, exploiting, getting as much benefit from as possible, profiting from, extracting value from

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

The fundamental idea behind milking is that once you get something, you try to get more.
People often use “milking” to describe a situation in which they’re getting something they feel lucky to get. In this case, Jack Osbourne feels lucky to be on TV, and he’s going to do everything he can to take advantage of his luck.
Another example would be if a boy really liked a girl, and the girl started milking the boy for lots of gifts. She would be trying to get as much benefit as she could from the boy’s interest in her. She would ask the boy to buy her things, and the boy would say yes because he would want the girl to like him.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””My parents offered to take me out to dinner tonight for my birthday. I’m going to milk them for as much as I can – we’re going to the nicest restaurant in town!”“

””Carson Daly is totally milking his success on MTV. He now has his own radio show and another TV show that’s on late at night.”“

””Justin Timberlake is still milking his relationship with Britney Spears. They broke up, but he just made a video about her. The video features a girl that looks just like Britney!”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Milking” in this week’s quote means “to get the most benefit/profit of it”
by Najib (Abu Dhabi, UAE)
“Milk” can also mean “try hard to get, to extract”. I think the person who said this was trying to tell you that he is trying hard to get everything that it’s worth from the show.
by Laura (Taichung, Taiwan)
I guess milking here means to extract value from the show and make use of this show as many as possible.
by Grace (Toronto)
I think “milk” here means: explore, excavate or mine.
by Leeley (Qingdao, China)
To milk a thing is to make full use of it.
by Muhammad (Egypt, Cairo)
Milking” should mean: Exploiting-squeezing.
by Gioacchino (Italy)
Milking means : that hes taking the advantage of this show to what is worth for him, hes turn it to his account & take profit from it.
by Desiderata (Faiha, Kuwait)
Milking the show,” attempting to get recognition from the audience.
by GC

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Likes (4):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast